Our programs for kids aged 7-9 and 9-11 are back!
Here is what our programs look like:
Our programs are designed to create confident riders through skill development, skill application on mountain bike specific terrain and safe progression under the supervision of mature, experienced coaches. Our coaches are passionate about creating the framework for life-long mountain biking in the next generation of riders!
- We will be introducing the fundamentals of mountain biking in a fun and exciting environment. Participants with learn effective operation of their controls, proper body position and the basics of cornering.
- Coaching will be a blend of games, drills and application of skills on single track and dirt environments. By the end of the program, participants will be confidently riding on simple to intermediate mountain bike trails. Our goal is to make mountain biking fun by creating confidence and teaching the skills to continue progressing as a rider.
IMPORTANT PREREQUISITES: Participants must know how to confidently ride a pedal bike with no training wheels. Participant's bike must have front and rear hand brakes, must have gears and must be capable of riding on dirt trails.
- We will expand on the fundamentals of mountain biking and continue to develop these skills. We will be working on becoming comfortable using the front brake, dynamic body position and using trail features such and berms.
- We will introduce more advanced skills such as pressure control, using trail features such as rollers and picking lines on intermediate terrain. These new skills will then be applied on the trail. While this group will be learning more advanced skills, the focus is still primarily on fun!
IMPORTANT PREREQUISITES: Participants must know how to confidently ride a pedal bike on basic dirt trails/single track. Participant's bike must have front and rear hand brakes, must have gears and must have dirt specific tires. Disc brakes are recommended.
- Our programs run twice a week for 2 consecutive weeks. Each day consists of 3 hours of instruction for a total of 12 hours. Both age groups are available for each set of dates listed. The 7-9 year old group will ride from 9am to 12pm and the 9-12 year old group will ride from 1pm to 4pm. A PDF calendar of all the dates can be found here.
- July 6, 8, 13 and 15
- July 22, 24, 27 and 29
- August 3,5,10 and 12
- August 17, 19, 24 and 26
Cost: The 4 day program is 300 + GST for each participant.
Coaches: There will be 3 coaches with each group for a maximum ratio of 6 participants per coach. Our coaches are PMBIA certified and have extensive experience coaching children in the Calgary area.
Meeting Location: https://goo.gl/maps/3vkpcjmoyj6ymWSK9 There is a playground with a covered picnic area. This is where participants will be picked up and dropped off. There is parking on the side of the road immediately adjacent to the playground.
Communication: You will be receiving a follow up email from us with more details. We use TeamSnap to communicate with parents about meeting spots, changes dues to weather and any other updates we need to get to parents before a ride. There will be instructions on how to sign up in our email.
Required Equipment: A well tuned bike, helmet and closed toed shoes, preferably something flat like a skate shoe. Other protective equipment like knee pads, elbow pads and sunglasses is recommended. Participants must have a way to carry their own snacks and water. This can be a backpack or a bottle cage and bike bag.
What to Bring: Each participant requires their own snacks and water. Coaches will not be providing snacks and children will not be allowed to share food. Bring a jacket and be prepared for precipitation. Sun screen and bug spray are recommended. Coaches will have tools in the even of a mechanical and first aide supplies to deal with with minor injuries.Coaches: There will be 3 coaches with each group for a maximum ratio of 6 participants per coach. Our coaches are PMBIA certified and have extensive experience coaching children in the Calgary area.