New for 2021! We are expanding our kids program to include children 12 to 15 years old who are intermediate to advanced riders.
The goal of this program is to create an environment where our professional coaches can teach kids how to ride better, smoother and faster. Our aim is to develop each student's ability to think about their own riding, build on their fundamental skills and become lifelong mountain bikers. We will emphasize fun, smart decision making, and teamwork as key components to help intermediate riders become more comfortable on technical trails, ride larger trail features, and develop their ability to tackle any type of terrain.
Our program has been developed by highly experienced mountain bike coaches with backgrounds in outdoor education and running youth mountain bike camps. Our coaches are passionate and excited to help create the next generation of mountain bikers!
Here are the things we want your children to take away from the program:
- Feeling more comfortable on loose/ steep terrain
- Able to ride blue size jumps and drops with confidence
- A better understanding of fast, flowy, and safe lines down a trail
- Better decision making skills when on new trails/ features
- For children aged 12 to 15 who are confident riders. Participants must be a minimum Level 3 on our Youth Skills Level Guide.
- Small program with low coach to rider ratio - maximum of 6 riders per coach plus an extra support coach present for rides.
- Our program consists of 3 rides per week for 3 consecutive weeks. There will be two evening rides on Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30pm to 8:30pm in Calgary and a full day on Saturday from 9:00am to 3:30pm at West Bragg Creek/Moose Mountain. Participant will receive a total of 36 hours of coaching over the 3 week program. A PDF calendar of all the dates can be found here.
Program Dates and Locations:
- July 6,8,13,15, 20 and 22 - Evenings (Eastlands)
- July 10, 17 and 24 - Saturdays in West Bragg Creek/Moose Mountain
Participants are required to have a performance oriented mountain bike with front suspension, hydraulic brakes and adequate gearing for climbing. Full suspension bikes are recommended. Participants must have enough endurance to sustain moderate climbing and to be able to complete an 8-10km loop in under 2 hours. See the description for Level 3 on the Youth Skills Level Guide.
Cost: The program is 650 + GST for each participant.
Required Equipment: A well tuned bike, helmet and closed toed shoes, preferably something flat like a skate shoe. Other protective equipment like knee pads, elbow pads and sunglasses is recommended. Participants must have a way to carry their own snacks and water. This can be a backpack or a bottle cage and bike bag.
Communication: You will be receiving a follow up email from us with more details. We use TeamSnap to communicate with parents about meeting spots, changes dues to weather and any other updates we need to get to parents before a ride. There will be instructions on how to sign up in our email.
What to Bring: Each participant requires their own snacks and water. Coaches will not be providing snacks and children will not be allowed to share food. Bring a jacket and be prepared for precipitation. Sun screen and bug spray are recommended. Coaches will have tools in the even of a mechanical and first aide supplies to deal with with minor injuries.